Sunday, December 31, 2006

7 Hours to the New Year and Here's What I'm Gonna Do

My New Year's Resolutions - I Make 'em often and now I'll try and make 'em true

This year I resolve to do at least one thing: take Jeffrey Hopkin's example and develop compassion for others through meditation and other techniques he explains in his book Cultivating Compassion.

We'll see how far I get in developing equanimity for all sentient beings, including those fuckers who do nasty things in this world (see earlier posts). We'll see whether or not comtemplating the fragility of life and the imminence of death will bring me closer to having kindness for all.

Certainly the first 50 or so pages of the book rid me of a day long headache and gave me a sense of purpose for the coming months: meditating on the idea that all beings want happiness and don't want suffering.

If successful, it'll be my Christmas gift to me.

Namaste!

M

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home